El Monte, CA
This is an internship opportunity, not a job opening. Candidate must qualify for school credit or candidate will be rejected.
The Mid Valley Media Center is a multi-platform, community-based media center creating and distributing news, information, and entertainment for non-profit, educational, and community-based organizations in the areas of El Monte, South El Monte, and surrounding communities.
We are the publishers and distributors of The Mid Valley News – a community newspaper in print for over 50 years.
We are looking for a talented intern who is passionate about community engagement, research, and writing to join our team of community-minded editors and publishers.
The ideal intern will possess knowledge of all necessary writing and reporting elements as well as a strong familiarity with editing styles and skills. Our intern will be responsible for researching and objectively reporting on local events, people, and places that create our community including affordable housing solutions and high school sports.
We recently received funding for this opportunity so a small monthly stipend is available. Candidate must qualify for school credit.
The intern will learn valuable skills including knowledge in grammar, editing, copy writing, writing for effect, critical thinking, and objective reporting. You won’t be getting coffee and making copies, but rather developing useful career skills.
Additional perks include occasional team lunches and outings and opportunities to engage with community, business, and local government leaders.
Successful candidates must be able to articulate their reasoning for choosing an unpaid internship, and their ability to consistently devote unpaid hours. Failure to provide a cover letter will result in dismissal of your application.
- Produce local content for the El Monte / South El Monte communities from a variety of sources
- Report and write news stories quickly without error (requires excellent writing skills)
- Monitor social media for buzzy stories and leads for new stories
- Develop and maintain relationships with community, business, and local government leaders
- Intermediate to advanced level word processing skills
- Intermediate to advanced level writing and editing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to form productive working relationships
- Strong understanding critical thinking, objective reporting, and elements of style
- Desire and commitment to learn and improve
- Close attention to detail
- Candidate must be a student, currently enrolled in either an undergraduate or graduate program
- Able to intern 12-15 hours a week
- Please respond to this posting with a cover letter explaining why you think you’re the ideal candidate for this internship.
- Failure to provide a cover letter will result in dismissal of your application.